Sunday, April 8, 2012

Why Seek ye the Living among the Dead?

My Grandma passed away two weeks ago. It was not unexpected and in fact it was prayed for, but that did not prepare us for the shock that we felt at her loss. The thought that kept reoccurring was that a great light had gone out in the world. Perhaps "gone out" is not as appropriate as "hidden from us". My Grandma loved two things; her family, and the Lord. All other aspects of her life are encompassed in these two great loves. She loved and supported her husband in the 68 years of mortality that they shared and continues to do so from the other side of the veil. The part of all this that tore at my heart and caused me to sob like a child was seeing my Grandpa, and the ache that he felt at being separated from his sweetheart. He loved her so dearly and completely that all fairy tales and stories pale in comparison to this example of true love. Did they disagree? Of course. Were they different in mannerisms and characteristics? Some might say near polar opposites. But their love and devotion was never a question. This last near decade of their lives, alone,can attest to the love shared by these two. As her health and abilities declined, his affection and service became all the clearer as he constantly put her needs and desires above his own.

So why share this? Because the loss of Grandma is swallowed up the the joy of Christ. His supreme sacrifice and sinless life has made it possible that my Grandpa will one day be able to embrace his sweetheart. Now I don't pretend to understand how this is possible or the workings of the atonement, but I know that it is real. I know that God, the Father, sent His only begotten Son to earth to live, bleed, and die for us. But that is not all, God sent His Son to LIVE for us.

The gospel of Luke, 24th chapter has spoken comfort to my soul these past two weeks. Mary Magdalene, Joanna, and Mary, the mother of James, walked to the sepulchre on the morning after the Jewish Sabbath. As they entered the tomb they were astonished to find the body of Christ missing. As they turned about they saw that they were joined by two men in shining garments.These messengers said to them "Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here but is risen.."

Jesus Christ overcame the bonds of death and hell and made a path for all to follow. I testify that because He lives, my Grandmother, my Dad's parents, and all those that have been lost to us will be restored. I witness that as He lives, so to shall all of us live. Death is part of this mortal sojourn and should not be feared as the dark abyss from whence no traveler can return but rather a path that we take, one day, that will lead to a glorious resurrection and reunion of the sweetest kind. I thank my God that I have been given this understanding and offer to any that feel the sting of death or the pain of mortality to come and hear the pleasing word of God and the words of His living prophets.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I know you, man. Your outlook on things are very positive. It makes me happy to know you and to call you my friend.

    -JĂșnior

    ReplyDelete