Sunday, October 12, 2014

Faith and Promises


              

              Faith is a principle of empowerment that dictates actions and outcomes, is an agent of change, and governs beliefs. The world at large describes faith as a belief that isn’t based on evidence. Faith is only faith when it is based on something that is true. Otherwise, it is a whimsical belief and lacks substance.
               My Grandpa, Francis Everett Broadbent, passed away September 29th, 2014. I had originally planned to talk about what a great man my Grandpa is and why he is my hero, but I will honor his selfless nature by saying this: he loved his God, and his family. He was a godly man that taught me what enduring love is, and what enduring to the end really means. His passing was not a sorrowful event, though I do miss him, because he is with his dear sweetheart. Though we laid his body to rest, Grandpa lives. I know he lives because my Savior lives.

My grandparents were sealed in the temple of God for time and all eternity. My parents were sealed in the temple as well. My own sweetheart and I were sealed about a month and a half ago. Because of those sacred ordinances I will see Grandpa, again. That is my faith. It is true. The restored priesthood keys and ordinances enable family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave, and give us a glimpse as to what our Father plans for His children. My faith in this eternal plan of salvation was tested as I said goodbye to Grandpa, but it never wavered and has provided me with immense comfort. To any who might be struggling with the loss of a loved one, I testify of a God of power and mercy that has provided a way for us to return to Him.  

2 comments: