Thursday, April 22, 2010

Life is Good

Im guessing that some of you are interested in how I like byu-i. I don’t suppose I can give an accurate and full report yet seeing how I have only been here for about 6 days but what a six days it has been! The doubts and concerns that I had about whether or not I was supposed to come to this school have been completely erased. This is a holy place. The only thing I can really compare it to is the MTC but with less razor-rash and its okay to hug girls here. In fact, I guess the hugging is encouraged because its called byu-I do. But back to the seriousness of it, it has been a far greater spiritual experience than I could have hoped for. No, I haven’t found my eternal companion, or not that I know of, but this campus is Zion. There is a spirit of unity and dedication that It is ridiculous how friendly people are here! My new good friend Vanessa makes it a habit to say hi to everyone that she passes by- even if they are across the street or quad. Its more like an obsession but it makes me laugh every time all the same. I have been on a couple dates already and have plenty more in the works. Don’t worry; my self esteem is rather healthy with all of these wonderfully spiritual (and cute) girls smiling at me. And yes, they smile at everyone they pass but I don’t care! Haha

I have a large group of really good friends as well as an amazing ward. My Elder’s Quorum President is nothing short of a spiritual giant and he gave one of the most powerful eq’s lesson that I have ever heard. I love how I can go up to a random apartment pretty much anywhere around and knock on the door and make new friends just like that. I’ve done that a bit (girls’ apartments mostly) and its been a lot of fun. I haven’t drowned in homework yet but I have plenty to do. I still am hopeful to get a job because that would make life considerably easier on the pocketbook. If I don’t get one this semester then I will just focus all the more on my classes and getting straight “A”s so I can get a scholarship here.


My teachers seem to be pretty cool and reasonable thus far and I am very happy with the class size because it is a very intimate teaching setting with no class larger than 50 thus far. I think that these teachers may actually CARE about our success, which is a rarity in the rest of the world. I had an interview with one of the Stake Presidency councilors and I’ve been called to serve as (I think) an assistant ward clerk. Or something like that. I figure I’ll just show up on Sunday and they will tell me what they want me to do.

The weather has been thus far-sunny to cloudy and warm to cloudy and cold to crazy intense thunderstorms. I had fun with that last one because I took a friend up out of town to get a spectacular view of the fireworks. Right now its windy and rainy and I have discovered that my brown shoes are not water tight anymore. You learn something new every day here!

1 comment:

  1. Argh, Hyrum, you're making me miss BYU-Idaho more than I already do. Thanks a lot, jerk. But hey, I'm glad to see that you're enjoying it a lot.

    ReplyDelete