Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happiness is a Pursuit

Happiness can come from unexpected places. Sometimes we have to look for it or search it out to find it. Today, in anticipation of my geology field trip as well as the rest of my career, I purchased a rock hammer. Now my list of geologic tools consist of a hammer and an eye piece. I"m pretty much a professional. Now the purchase of a tool is not a significant thing, in fact all I could think about was how much food that hammer is worth to me, but it made me rather happy. It became symbolic of my future--of future adventures and exploits where growth and development will occur. Of a future where I can provide a modest lifestyle for my future family. It became a symbol of my talents and abilities and potential. Yeah, I probably was losing it by looking that much into a piece of steel and rubber but that is that. In a life where it seems like my best laid plans or ideas don't come to fruition always, its comforting to know that my future looks bright. And the picture of the temple is also symbolic of the turmoil and uncertainty of the world with the immovable gospel standing in the face of it. I feel artsy and thoughtful tonight? Or maybe I should just go to bed... oh well. Summary- I love life and finding happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that the first thing I thought reading this was: "hey! I know a great place in Ohio for finding your own fossils with your new hammer!" Miss the point much, Joy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no! I need to good fossil places too! I didn't just get the thing to look at, I'm gonna go smash me some rocks!

    ReplyDelete